CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 9, 2012

A Week of Miracles! January 9, 2012

Happy Christmas!!! again!!

It was Christmas again this week.  So there are 2 calendars.  The Bratislavian church said that they were right and would never change their calendar when everyone else switched to the calendar that we all use.  So this past Saturday was December 25 on their calendar and we will have old new years this Saturday as it will be new years on the Bratislavian calendar.  It will not be a big celebration again like it was on New Years.  I think that the real reason is that they just want to celebrate for 2 weeks and drink vodka for 2 weeks.  But on church this Sunday they had all the talks about Christmas and we sang Christmas songs!!

So, after serving with an American companion I think I can see the differences in the culture more and it's really interesting!!  They are SO open and just say what it is here.  At church last Sunday we had a king of crazy old lady come to church.  She asked if she could have five minutes to share something in Relief Society and our wonderful teacher Sveta just says, no, that's way too long.  She said no and told her to sit down! haha  And everyone here just has to share their view, but their view is 100% right and they don't like to hear anything else!  So riots break out in Sunday School and Relief Society almost every Sunday!! haha  Well anyway.

This week Sister Tunney and I had a lot of miracles happen this week.  Our one investigator Lubov has been struggling and not wanting to tell her husband that she is going to be baptized.  We told her that it was a rule of the church that she needed to tell her husband.  She said that she wouldn't tell him.  We didn't know what to do.  Sister Tunney and I just looked at each other, blank faced... what do we do? She said no...  We had talked about using 1 Nephi 3:7 earlier when we were preparing the lesson, so I reached down and said, "Why don't we read a scripture."  I briefly explained how Lehi's sons needed to go back to Jerusalem to get the plates, and this was not an easy task, but Nephi knew that it was not his father that was asking, but the Lord.  She read the scripture and then we just sat there for a second and could see her thinking.  She then looked at as and said, this is about my husband isn't it?  If the Lord wants me to tell him, I will tell him.  It was so neat to see the power of the Book of Mormon.  We didn't need to say anything, she knew what she needed to do!

We also met with a new investigator Laura this week.  The first lesson we just read the introduction to the Book of Mormon with her.  She loved everything and talked about how her soul was at peace and felt so happy when she was with us.  At our next lesson with her we showed the Restoration movie.  After we asked her if she believed that Joseph Smith was a prophet.  She said Yes!! Of course!!!. I had the feeling that we should challenge her to baptism.  It was kind of weird as it was only a 2nd lesson, but I looked at Sister Tunney and said in English, "baptism?" (it's nice to have a secret language on lessons sometimes!!)  She looked at me and then said yes.  Right after she said that I felt a fire in my heart and just knew that we needed to challenge her to baptism.  I started talking about how Jesus had organized his church and as she had read in 3 Nephi 11 he had called apostles and given them the power to baptize.  I asked her if she would like to prepare to be baptized by the authority of Jesus Christ that was in His Church on the earth again today.  She said," Yes!  I'm ready!!"  It was SO amazingly crazy!!   It is so neat to see how the Lord has prepared people to receive this message of the restoration.

On our way home this week on the bus their was this lady that was just staring at our name tags.  I decided that I would like to talk with her, but when I went to sit next to her, she then moved so that she could sit by her daughter.  Finally the lady asked us what our name tags were.  So, I got to go over and talk with her and get their numbers!! It was SO awesome!! The mom works a lot, but she has answered her phone since then.  It's just cool to see that we just need to do the work, and the Lord will guide us to those who are curious or searching!  Well, I LOVE SISTER TUNNEY!!  I have never felt so united with a companion when teaching lessons!  Well, we're at the Potter's again to celebrate Russian Christmas!!  I hope you all have a GREAT week!!

love you!
Cectpa Cunningham

 Our service project for christmas decorating a christmas tree at teh school.

 Our K-dar family christmas picture.

 One of our favorite games... Ninja Destruction!!  But "Dancing Ninja Destruction"!!! :)

 Our secret service Christmas tree that we did with the girls.

 Lollipops!!

 My New Years Morning Cinnamon Rolls!!

 Fireworks!!!  and the houses are visible!!

  Yes! love stepping on dog poop on the sidewalk!

Our Russian babooshka oktabrina! haha  She is SO funny and WAY cute!!  She made us all this food and just wanted us to eat and eat.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment